The date of foundation of this small chapel remains unknown, although it is known to be very old. The outer part of the temple is modest, with three buttresses in the north wall and two in the south wall, a portico in the main entrance, two side doors that lead to the aisle and another that leads to the house of offerings and to the sacristy
Inside the chapel, there is a baroque retable made in gilded woodwork of the 18th century, composed of four Solomonic columns and reliefs depicting S. Mateus, the patron saint. He is represented in the centre in a wooden image, made by Guilherme Ferreira Tedim, in 1942.
It can be visited upon reservation at the Paroquia de Cantanhede (Parish church)
Largo de São Mateus