Go back
Home Visit Heritage and Culture Mosteiro de Santa Clara-a-Velha

Mosteiro de Santa Clara-a-Velha

Coimbra

Mosteiro de Santa Clara-a-Velha

Coimbra
Presentation

Santa Clara de Coimbra was delivered to the Clarisse nuns soon after 1283 when it was founded, by D. Mor Dias. Dona Isabel de Arag√£o, the queen Santa Isabel, took special interest in the convent, which had since become extinct and ordered the construction of new buildings in gothic style, with an exceptional cloister and church, which was consecrated in 1330.

Observations

The monastery soon suffered with the flooding of the Mondego River and, because of that, was subjected to architectural adaptations. In 1677 the nuns finally changed their location to a new building, on higher ground and the first convent became known as Santa Clara-a-Velha (Old Santa Clara).
After a formidable process of requalification, this National Monument and Archaeological Site (14th to the 17th century) gained an Interpretation Centre. Tourists can now visit the ruins and the archaeological site, watch films and virtual modelling.

Particularities

Audioguides - Available in 4 languages: Portuguese, English, French and Spanish (cost 1,50 ?)
Guided and thematic tours - under previous reservation
Circuits suitable for the motor and visually impaired

Shop with exclusive products and coffee shop (meals and regional confectionary) with outdoor seating.

Mosteiro de Santa Clara-a-Velha

Rua das Parreiras - Santa Clara
3040-266
Coimbra

www.facebook.com/mosteiro.santaclara.a.velha http://santaclaraavelha.drcc.pt www.culturaonline.pt/MuseusMonumentos/Monumentos/Pages/Mosteiro_Santa_Clara_Velha.aspx
Get directions

Location

Coimbra